Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Incidents Part 2

As I continue to read this book, I realize that Dr.Flint has a lot of control over her.  One example of this is that she is not allowed to have a husband that is not permitted by Dr.Flint when she says that, " If you must have a husband, you make take up with one of my slaves.' What a situation I should be in, as the wife of one of slaves, even if my heart had been interested"(38).  It shows how enslaved she is and how evil and perverted Dr.Flint is.  I believe this to be a major ploy in the book that Dr.flint will continually stop Jacobs' from being able to gain anything.  I believe that through the sexual plot of Dr.Flint, the mistress is jealous and through that she is going to be attacked either way.  The mistress first pretends to protect her, but then does the opposite like when she, "She now tried the trick of accusing my master of crime, in my presence, and gave my name  as the author of the accusation"(33).  I think this shows how Jacobs' is cornered by both her master and her mistress.  I believe the Dr.flint will be overthrown sometime in the end of the book

No comments:

Post a Comment